This past year, in our weekly “Cyber Civics” class at Journey School, I asked a roomful of 7th graders to come up with ten rules for “safe and respectable online behavior.” Here is their list:
- I will not post embarrassing pictures of other people on public sites.
- I will not post mean comments online.
- I will not post any personal information about myself online.
- I will not give out any personal information about my friends.
- I will not make up fake identities.
- I will always ask permission before posting pictures of others.
- I will respect a person’s decision if they do not want a picture or video of themselves posted online.
- I will think twice (or three times) before putting anything online.
- I will not pretend to be another person online behind their back.
- I will not post personal stories about my friends online without their permission.
(Btw, in case you were wondering, yes the class gave me permission to post this list and to give out the name of their school!)